News:

Registered a URL and setup a forum as the IPCam stuff really needed its own site vs my irregular blog posts about IPCam hacking at http://www.computersolutions.cn/blog

Author Topic: Cloud based IP cam recording recommendations  (Read 7972 times)

• No avatar
June 14, 2014, 01:41:09 pm
I decided to make my own cloud-based IP camera recording software with motion detection. This simply downloaded JPEGs using the snapshot.cgi page. This worked ok but I found some IP cameras didn't like this and would crash after a few hours, such as the Foscam FI8916W. Also my own software didn't provide a nice video file, just thousands of JPEGs.

Searching online I found MangoCam provided this and supported all the IP cameras I had (two unbranded cameras) and Foscam FI8916W and the cameras didn't crash. I liked how it streamed a video and allowed playback rather than using JPEGs. One downside I found with MangoCam is that even with 'Platinum' membership the storage space was consumed very quickly. I'm only getting a few days of video retention.

I decided that one of the cameras I'd got from eBay was a potato so I replaced it with Foscam FI9831W. I really like the resolution of this camera and I think it's ideal to monitor a room or an average sized garden. It could definitely be used to identify a person which is what I need it for.

Unfortunately I found that even though MangoCam has this camera on its list of supported models it only does so in potato-mode, ie. I need to reduce the resolution of the video stream to the point that I'm getting worse quality than the potato I wanted to replace.

I've had a look at other similar services but they all require FTP uploads which isn't an option since all the cameras I have take only manage to upload 1 image every 7 seconds. FI9831W supports snapshots which allows me to use my own software but I've found it takes 15 seconds per image which isn't acceptable since a lot could happen in 15 seconds. The only other alternative is to use the cameras SD Card recording but I don't like this since the cards can be removed.

I think it's a shame that FI9831W has great quality video but there doesn't seem to be a way of remotely recording this. Has anyone got any suggestions for how this could work?

June 14, 2014, 09:28:46 pm
I decided to make my own cloud-based IP camera recording software with motion detection. This simply downloaded JPEGs using the snapshot.cgi page. This worked ok but I found some IP cameras didn't like this and would crash after a few hours, such as the Foscam FI8916W. Also my own software didn't provide a nice video file, just thousands of JPEGs.

Searching online I found MangoCam provided this and supported all the IP cameras I had (two unbranded cameras) and Foscam FI8916W and the cameras didn't crash. I liked how it streamed a video and allowed playback rather than using JPEGs. One downside I found with MangoCam is that even with 'Platinum' membership the storage space was consumed very quickly. I'm only getting a few days of video retention.

I decided that one of the cameras I'd got from eBay was a potato so I replaced it with Foscam FI9831W. I really like the resolution of this camera and I think it's ideal to monitor a room or an average sized garden. It could definitely be used to identify a person which is what I need it for.

Unfortunately I found that even though MangoCam has this camera on its list of supported models it only does so in potato-mode, ie. I need to reduce the resolution of the video stream to the point that I'm getting worse quality than the potato I wanted to replace.

I've had a look at other similar services but they all require FTP uploads which isn't an option since all the cameras I have take only manage to upload 1 image every 7 seconds. FI9831W supports snapshots which allows me to use my own software but I've found it takes 15 seconds per image which isn't acceptable since a lot could happen in 15 seconds. The only other alternative is to use the cameras SD Card recording but I don't like this since the cards can be removed.

I think it's a shame that FI9831W has great quality video but there doesn't seem to be a way of remotely recording this. Has anyone got any suggestions for how this could work?
Please see this:

http://foscam.us/forum/showing-secure-methods-using-php-to-display-your-ip-cameras-t8721.html

Don