News:

Re-organized the forum to more cleanly delineate the development section, as the end user support side appears to have taken a life of its own!

Author Topic: Another Foscam FI8908W Clone Firmware Exploration  (Read 135928 times)

May 23, 2013, 06:30:44 pm
Hi,

I have the same motherboard in one of my cams that I'm currently hacking/modding.

I am in the processes of integrating a NAS (WLX-652), a wireless router (DIR-615)
and one of these cams into a DVR chassis to make a 'Linux CCTV Alarm Box'.
The idea is to make use of the motor IO lines for sensors and external automation,
plus, maybe also make use of the ex-WiFi module's USB controller. <Had to remove
those parts, its a long story! (Detailed in my other post/topic) :-)

Do you have any knowledge of what the latest firmware and web ui files are for the
IPCAM_PT2_V3.3f_sc board as at the moment I think I have rather old ones, its on
FW-0.23.2.14 & WebUI-0.3.2.6 and it wasn't the best cam for stability, but it seems
quite ok now its been stripped of extras and transplanted into the ex-DVR box!

Any advice or pointers (or firmwares! :-D) for what I am trying to do here would be
most helpful indeed,

Thanks in advance,

Jay G.

• No avatar
November 27, 2014, 09:23:01 am
Hi guys,

Thanks for this guide I have successfully fixed my camera by following this.  Thanks for all the hard work.

I am now in a position where I have 0.37.2.47 and web 0.2.9.12 installed.

The web UI seems older (or newer) than my old one.  The old one said something like 2 login options, 1 was "push mode"

Also the wifi when scanning will not pick up any networks.

Does anyone know the latest firmware and web ui for these cameras and how I identify exactly which camera I have got?

Thanks in advance!

• No avatar
November 27, 2014, 01:34:13 pm
Hi,

I have now managed to upgrade the Web UI back to what I think was the old one (2.4.8.14) it certainly looks the same.

I am trying to now update the firmware in the hope that the Wifi will start working again.

I have tried 11.14.1.42 and some others in the series.  Some fail, some say upgrading, but when the camera reboots it is still showing 0.37.2.47

Does the way the zip file gets copied in this fix essentially lock any firmware upgrades?

November 27, 2014, 04:58:05 pm
Hi,

I have now managed to upgrade the Web UI back to what I think was the old one (2.4.8.14) it certainly looks the same.

I am trying to now update the firmware in the hope that the Wifi will start working again.

I have tried 11.14.1.42 and some others in the series.  Some fail, some say upgrading, but when the camera reboots it is still showing 0.37.2.47

Does the way the zip file gets copied in this fix essentially lock any firmware upgrades?

Please install the 11.22.2.51 version of firmware here for the FI8910W/FI8918W:

http://www.foscam.com/down3.aspx

The firmware you installed is for cameras that have wireless daughterboards for 802.11 b,g,n

Cameras that have VNT followed by letters/numbers ("MAC Address") on their labels only support 802.11 b,g

x.37 firmware releases are for cameras that have FR followed by letters/numbers ("MAC Address") wireless daughterboards on their labels.

Because the firmware current installed can't recognize or communicate with the current wireless daughterboard in the camera. Wireless functions won't work for the camera. Until you install the correct firmware.

Don
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 05:08:25 pm by TheUberOverLord »

• No avatar
November 27, 2014, 05:36:03 pm
Thanks

I think the version you speak of is the one that bricked it in the first place!

I have just  tried to apply it from ip camera tool and it gets progress bar to about 80% then freezes.  Then a warning pops up but there is not message in the box just an OK button.

It has rediscovered the camera so its not bricked but its still showing 0.37.2.47

Thanks

November 27, 2014, 05:49:28 pm
Thanks

I think the version you speak of is the one that bricked it in the first place!

I have just  tried to apply it from ip camera tool and it gets progress bar to about 80% then freezes.  Then a warning pops up but there is not message in the box just an OK button.

It has rediscovered the camera so its not bricked but its still showing 0.37.2.47

Thanks

You are in a real pickle of a situation that most likely can't be resolved without the use of a serial TTY adapter.

The issue is this:

Due to you installing the incorrect firmware for the camera and coincidentally that firmware versions number being higher ("System firmware last two digits") than any versions for the correct firmware for your camera. That incorrect firmware won't let you simply downgrade to a lower firmware version.

This was done to protect camera owners. Because prior to the .59 system firmware versions. Many security vulnerabilities were found and fixed in the .59 systems firmware versions.

So the only way out of this mess. Is to use special firmware recovery software. Which I have, but it requires the use of the methods which I show in this thread which I created as well. Using a serial adapter.

Note: It's never recommended by anyone I am aware of to try this or that firmware before asking many questions first. In places like here. In most cases where that's not done. Results are equal to yours.

Usually someone here just by getting camera label and/or other details about your camera can tell you if it's good or bad idea. On a case by case, camera by camera basis.

There are no other methods to resolve your situation other than using a 3.3V DC TTL Serial Adapter, connected to your camera to install the proper camera recovery firmware. Are you willing and capable to take on a procedure like this, as shown in this Forum thread. At your own risk?

Do you see a FR or a VNT followed by letters/numbers ("The Cameras Wireless MAC Address") on the cameras label, anywhere?

Because the recovery methods and firmware used to recover the camera, are reliant on it being FR or VNT based, as far as wireless daughterboards are concerned.

If you use the wrong recovery firmware and methods. Your camera can become a eternal paperweight.

Don
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:16:39 pm by TheUberOverLord »

• No avatar
November 27, 2014, 07:58:21 pm
Hi thanks for your continued help.

I am comfortable with using the TTL as I used this to get to this stage in the first place.  It wouldn't even start up before.  I found this thread and it matched my symptoms and device  and hence I downloaded your files and gave it a go.

The wifi label says VNT in the model number.

Thanks

November 28, 2014, 01:34:19 am
Hi thanks for your continued help.

I am comfortable with using the TTL as I used this to get to this stage in the first place.  It wouldn't even start up before.  I found this thread and it matched my symptoms and device  and hence I downloaded your files and gave it a go.

The wifi label says VNT in the model number.

Thanks

You are very welcome.

I have sent you your camera recovery instructions via PM ("Private Message") in the forum.

Dom

• No avatar
November 28, 2014, 06:25:13 am
Hi,

Thanks for the file. 

I have applied it.  I notice the address where their instructions place romfs.img are slightly different to your instructions here.

Everything seemed in order but the camera is booting, doing about a quarter of the pan that it normally does at boot time and stopping.  In this time the camera appears in the Ip camera tool then when it stops rotating it dissapears again and restarts the boot process.

I see you mentioned FI8910W and the file is named as such.

I believe mine is a clone (as referenced in this thread) of the FI8908W.  Is that important?

Thanks again

• No avatar
November 28, 2014, 06:32:10 am
Scrap that.  Ive took it to bits again and it is now rotating!  I must have put it together badly.

Now showing 11.22.2.51 2.4.8.14

You said update to latest version after ive applied it?  What is the latest version?  looking at the site it looks like 11.22.2.51 ?

Thanks

November 28, 2014, 06:47:46 am
Scrap that.  Ive took it to bits again and it is now rotating!  I must have put it together badly.

Now showing 11.22.2.51 2.4.8.14

You said update to latest version after ive applied it?  What is the latest version?  looking at the site it looks like 11.22.2.51 ?

Thanks

You are very welcome.

The instructions I supplied to you are current vs. instructions for firmware version made many years ago. Which is why they are different.

I always say to check for the latest versions of firmware. Once the camera has been recovered because the recovery firmware can lag behind the current firmware versions.

Don
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 06:50:51 am by TheUberOverLord »

• No avatar
November 28, 2014, 07:10:03 am
hmm, now its not spinning again on boot up, only for about 3 seconds.  I still have it in bits so im a little confused.  When it was on I still could not see wifi networks either oddly.  Could the spinning issue be software?  It was fine before.  Might have to confine this one to the bin!

November 28, 2014, 07:33:49 am
hmm, now its not spinning again on boot up, only for about 3 seconds.  I still have it in bits so im a little confused.  When it was on I still could not see wifi networks either oddly.  Could the spinning issue be software?  It was fine before.  Might have to confine this one to the bin!

Please define "Spinning" using more detail.

Secondly. Try doing a "Hard Reset" using the reset button on the bottom of the camera using a paperclip if needed. Holding down the reset button for 30 seconds. While the camera is powered up.

Note: You will need to reconfigure the camera using a hard wired Ethernet connection, because this will set the camera to factory defaults as if it just came out of the box.

Don
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:51:29 am by TheUberOverLord »

• No avatar
November 28, 2014, 08:43:24 am
When the camera switches on it does some sort of self check where it rotates through all the axis of movement.  That normally lasts about 30 seconds.  Now it is just doing it for about 3 seconds then stops and resets and does the same again.

November 28, 2014, 08:45:26 am
When the camera switches on it does some sort of self check where it rotates through all the axis of movement.  That normally lasts about 30 seconds.  Now it is just doing it for about 3 seconds then stops and resets and does the same again.

With the serial connection going. What bot text do you see when/while this is going on?

Any errors and if so, what?

Don