News:

Registered a URL and setup a forum as the IPCam stuff really needed its own site vs my irregular blog posts about IPCam hacking at http://www.computersolutions.cn/blog

Author Topic: In over my head/dumb questions  (Read 616 times)

• No avatar
July 05, 2017, 01:55:27 am
Hi guys,
I'm delighted to have discovered this forum recently as I'm expecting the arrival of a 32x32mm 720P IP camera tomorrow featuring the Hi3518E (https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/720P-CMOS-Onivf-IP-module-H_60352228981.html).

I've read this is a popular configuration to access and hack the linux OS.   Unfortunately this is one part of a much larger project and I'm a terrible programmer only just getting familiar with Linux itself.  My focus has always been on mechanical items, but I'm familiar enough with electronics- this is still very new territory for me.  So apologies in advance for any ignorant questions.

1. The system that controls this camera will have two sets of coordinates for it's 2 axis gimbal system.
2. Self-contained values for X & Z axis motors, I say self contained because values need not come from the Ethernet port, but rather from a MPU6050 sensor or similar, so yes- it will be trying to level itself out continuously.
3. The other set of values WILL need to come from the ethernet connection and they will constitute an offset value so that the camera can be driven to move from the other (leveling) values.

I realize that it is almost certain that I will need a separate microcontroller to handle this, but I thought that maybe at least the 2nd set of values could come through the IP camera board since it will already be networked, and will require negligible bandwidth, and I could thusly avoid all the complication of adding a separate board, ethernet hub/switch etc. etc. only to get a few PWM signals in there.  Space is at a premium for this application.

Short of that, I arrived here reading up on ways to reduce video latency.  This particular IP camera will go through a 10/100 mini ethernet media converter (fiber optic 9/125) as well.  Due to aforementioned size constraints I'm settling for 720p at 30fps even though I was shooting for at least 1080p.  This board in particular is only 32x32mm in physical size, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.   I'd welcome any suggestions on finding something smaller or higher resolution at that size (or actually a round PCB would be nice even though I don't expect to find that).   OR something of similar size with a remote image sensor (via flat ribbon cable).

Anyway, as you can see, I have a lot of different directions I can move on this project.  I'm funding this out of pocket right now, but if things work out I could turn a profit someday.  As such, I'd be willing to hire someone to help with this or possibly some equity arrangement- but short of that, I'd surely love some free advice and guidance before I spiral off on a tangent here.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any tips to get me moving toward a viable solution!   have a great day!
-Kevin

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:11:26 am by salukikev »

• No avatar
July 14, 2017, 02:13:09 am
Really depends on the board you have, and what gpio's are available to use, and how much flash / ram (for user space software etc).

Do you have the Hi3518e SoC SDK?

You'll need the SDK to get started, and compile a rom with kernel, userfs etc
Maybe the supplier will give you a ready to use kernel/rom/userfs that you can start from.

You'll need to have a  uBoot on the board.  Hopefully will have one already, otherwise you'll also need an SPI flash programmer to program the uBoot.
You'll need to be able to setup a crosscompiler environment (suggest use Docker or similar virtualized system to setup, then you can migrate easily).
You'll need to unpack the SDK, then be able to compile kernel.
You'll need to learn how to setup rom in flash.

Suggest read the uCLinux posts from 2011 where I talk about similar things.  Its relevant, although not 100% relevant to your particular board.

Also suggest reading other peoples posts, e.g. https://felipe.astroza.cl/hacking-hi3518-based-ip-camera/

Good luck.

Might want to think about using something like an ESP8266 for your gimbal to control sensors, as that has wifi, and they're dirt cheap.

• No avatar
July 22, 2017, 04:19:41 pm
Hi,
Sorry I didn't get a notice of this reply until I happened back here to research!   That is a lot of info to process!  It certainly looks like there's a lot to learn!  Isn't there an option to use "pelco" protocol which addresses this directly (without having to "hack" anything?).  Also, I picked this camera board specifically due to it's diminutive size on a single board (32mm x 32mm).  If there are any more appropriate camera boards which are of this size or smaller I would be very interested in buying one of those instead!
Thanks!

ps.  It seems to be drastically difficult to post responses here as I have first a captcha, and then three additional questions, at least one of which is very difficult/ambiguous to answer.  For example:  "What number comes before Yan An Zhong lu in the address? (use numbers):"   What- the URL address?  The mailing address?   Nothing is listed here on this page or the home page of the site.  I have to repost this until I get a manageable question and this seems to happen each time even though I'm logged in!

• No avatar
July 27, 2017, 06:24:45 am
Post 5 messages, and the restriction is lifted,  its a spammer block, unfortunately if you don't make it difficult then the boards get inundated with spam.

I have removed some of the non relevant questions (the ones related to the older forum template).