News:

Re-organized the forum to more cleanly delineate the development section, as the end user support side appears to have taken a life of its own!

Author Topic: OpenIPcam Camera's  (Read 16285 times)

March 03, 2011, 04:45:41 am
Hello all.

What camera should one buy to work with OpenIPcam? What camera's are there? Specs etc? I know admin has some foscam clone and the specs, but which one exactly is it? And where to buy it?

To answer these questions and more, I figured it might be an idea to start a thread here that lists camera's etc. So I start with a foscam clone that appears to be quite popular:

sku.26358 over at dealextreme
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/standalone-ip-wireless-wifi-lan-camera-with-night-vision-and-pan-tilt-motors-26358

• No avatar
March 03, 2011, 10:12:50 am
I'm based in China (for most of the year), so I don't know what you guys are getting your side.
I'm planning on sourcing and getting some made to spec to sell on here also at some point in the future.

Currently any of the ARM7 Nuvoton N745 based ones I've seen so far will work with what I've done.

I'm developing on the 2M flash version, but ideally we'd have 4M as I want to have additional features if possible.

Network card needs to be davicom based, but i haven't seen any with anything else, so thats a probable safe bet.

Flash needs to be something supported by the default mtd drivers.  So anything thats CFI compliant really.

Wifi card anything with 2.4 drivers - currently supported hardware includes:
Via6656 (viaarena drivers)
RT73 / RT2571 (rt2x00.serialmonkey.com drivers)
Zydas1211  (http://sourceforge.net/projects/zd1211/develop)
etc

Video Camera needs to be equivalent to what I'm developing on.
So spca5xx (mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html) based. 

I just ordered another camera to test that should arrive tomorrow, assuming gpio ports are the same, I think pretty much all the "clones" are fairly generic enough that I can support all of them.
Assuming the 3rd is similar to the 2 I have already.

March 03, 2011, 03:22:47 pm
I've ordered stuff from DealExtreme and thus trust them enough to send me stuff to Europe. So that at the moment is my preferred vendor.

There's others like chinavision too i've been told.

April 02, 2011, 11:44:42 pm
Is the dealextreme sku.26358 camera close enough to a Foscam to actually use Foscam firmware? If not, who actually makes it and do you know if there is firmware available of it?

April 03, 2011, 09:48:04 pm
Foscam apparently puts something in it's camera that allows the software to verify that it is indeed a Foscam. At the end of the boot sequence if it doesn't pass the test it reboots.

April 03, 2011, 11:14:24 pm
Interesting! Years ago, we deployed a product made in another country that incorporated a FPGA that had licensing tied to it. Only the FPGA was purchased from us – the rest of the device was made in the target country, under license. If a locally produced FPGA was substituted we could tell. To avoid reverse engineering figuring out where the “tell” was , during the boot sequence, when the fake FPLA was detected, we wrote a special value into an IO register. Much, much later, when the system was mostly up we read that IO register. If the “fake detected” value was in the register, the device output a cryptic failure message that would prompt a support call and we would then know that the customer had attempted to to duplicate a fake device. Maybe FOSCAM is doing something similar.

• No avatar
April 04, 2011, 02:30:06 am
It doesn't do it on purpose.

It tries to read the gpio ports to reset the position of the camera, and fails, then reboots on that in the camera exe.

There are different revisions that don't fail badly like that ;)

April 04, 2011, 07:34:51 pm
Your reply "...There are different revisions that don't fail badly..." begs the original question: Is the dealextreme sku.26358 camera close enough to a Foscam to actually use any particular Foscam firmware release? If so, which one?

• No avatar
April 04, 2011, 11:19:45 pm
To re-emphasise - I'm based in China (for most of the year), so I don't know what you guys are getting your side.

In practise, I have no [EXPLETIVE DELETED] idea :o  who / what a "dealextreme sku.26358" is, although from the box picture, I have a good idea of who the factory is. 

If they are like most common Chinese shippers, they'll send out whatever they sourced at the time, so it can vary even for the same SKU.

99% of the camera's I've seen are the same.  The only variations I've seen are the usb wifi daughterboard, and sensor being different.  As this is easily catered for in software (you just add drivers in the kernel), its not a big deal.

There are variations in board quality that I've seen.
Check my flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sheedl ) for a factory board thats been hand soldered, vs wave soldered.

The PSU's are also pretty heinous, but they just buy those from factories for 4-5rmb, so you get crappy ones by default.  I'd say leading cause of failure on these is probably the unregulated PSU frying the boards, but thats just a guesstimate.