News:

Registered a URL and setup a forum as the IPCam stuff really needed its own site vs my irregular blog posts about IPCam hacking at http://www.computersolutions.cn/blog

Author Topic: Wanscam AJ-C2WA-C198 trouble with multiple devices on wifi.  (Read 22404 times)

December 26, 2011, 01:58:06 pm
Hey!

I'm kinda new to this whole IP-cam thing. But I have some descent understanding for computers and technology in general.

I just bought and installed 2 Wanscam AJ-C2WA-C198.

I've set them both up and signed them to specific IP numbers. I've done the port forwarding in my router and have no problems viewing and using them both, AS LONG AS one of them is on wifi and the other one is on ethernet. As soon as I disconnect them both and try to use them on wifi it seems as if they start to interfere with each other. I can't figure out why I can't use them both on Wifi. They're set to different IP numbers and different ports as well.

As long as I only use one (either one) on wifi, everything is fine. Both internal and external reach works great.

Any one with some tricks for me? It's starting to really annoy me since I've tried pretty much everything I can imagine has anything to do with it.

Regards,

Mike

• No avatar
December 28, 2011, 05:07:53 am
is this problem only if you access it from outside or even within your home network?

did you try having both of them on ethernet?

try checking their MAC addresses. not the one marked on the bottom, that is for ethernet.

There has been a maufacturer who delivered all cams with the same ethernet MAC, maybe anotherone has all the samw wifi MACs?

December 30, 2011, 04:51:19 am
That HAS to be the problem. I've been thinking about the macadress. I could only find one macadress in my router settings. But I thought to myself that it shouldn't be the issue. Thats a stupid thing to do being a manufacturer. How would they solve that for a person wanting to install 2 or more wirelessly?

Can I somehow change the macadress?

• No avatar
December 30, 2011, 08:38:25 am
no, unfortunately the MAC for wifi is taken from the wifi usb device, at least I couldn't find the wifi mac of my cam related to the one in the bootloader and/or settings area.

you could either open them up and look at the mac on the usb board or connect them one after another via wifi and check their wifi mac with the arp command on your pc.

If indeed they proof to be identical, you do have a problem .... the only way I can think of solving this would be to change the usb board.

January 05, 2012, 09:14:22 am
Ok, so i've got some answers from lightinthebox.com regarding the use of two or more cameras on wifi...

-----------------

Dear Customer,

Sorry for the waiting. After checking with our suppliers, we find that the items can not be used at the same time. The only way to use them together is to use one as wireless and one with wire. Thank you for your kind understanding.

Thank you for shopping with us at LightInTheBox.com. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions, it is always a pleasure to help.

Sincerely,
Customer Service,
www.lightinthebox.com

-----------------

January 04, 2012 11:58 PM From: Mike

Hello!

It doesn't say in the information about the camera on the website.
I want a refund or another similar camera.

Mike

-----------------

January 05, 2012 04:51 AM From: Customer service

Dear Customer,

We are sorry that since this is not a quality issue, we are afraid that we can not offer the refund for you. Thank you for your kind understanding.

Thank you for shopping with us at LightInTheBox.com. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions, it is always a pleasure to help.

Sincerely,
Customer Service,
www.lightinthebox.com

-----------------

COME ON!!!!...... If they don't solve this issue, I'd recommend everyone NOT to buy anything from www.lightinthebox.com

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:20:12 am by 9-3Mike »

• No avatar
January 05, 2012, 11:41:16 am
Hi,
did you check that both wifi macs are the same? did you mention that in the email?
if no, then do it because mac's are not allowed to be the same and THIS WILL BE a warranty issue.

But it is not something to blame the vendor (I'm sure he sold the junk in good faith), it's to blame the crappy WANSCAM stuff. Since it's original WASNCAM, go and pester their support until they give in and offer a solution...

maybe it might be possible to solve the problem with some hardcore fw tweaking (add some batch skript and build a new romfs).

January 05, 2012, 11:57:33 am
Hello!

Yes, I've checked the mac addresses, they are the same. I have told them that they are the same and the answer I've got is the one I posted earlier in this thread..

If it's indeed illegal, I'll have to tell them that...?

Can we find a link to a web page or any kind of consumer advise page that states this fact?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:06:59 pm by 9-3Mike »

• No avatar
January 06, 2012, 03:47:07 am
I didn't say it is illegal. I said it is not allowed, and that is according to the rules you acknowledge when you get assigned a mac address range.

Usually this is a sign that even the wifi board is a clone and no regular product...

as I allready stated: avoid WANSCAM like the plague

January 07, 2012, 06:06:29 am
Hello!

Just to keep you posted on the discussions I have with the customer service-assholes..

--------------------

Dear Customer,

We are sorry that since this is not a quality issue, we are afraid that we can not offer the refund for you. Thank you for your kind understanding.

Sincerely,
Customer Service,
www.lightinthebox.com

--------------------

January 05, 2012 06:00 AM From: Mikael Tornberg

Hello

Its not a quality issue, it's FALSE marketing or lacking of information. The cameras are meant to be used on wifi. If that's is not possible. It HAS to be a part of the information about the camera or under a text quoting LIMITATIONS.
It is very obvious that this is NOT the customers fault in this case.
Please get back to me with a solution.

Mikael

--------------------

January 05, 2012 09:37 PM From: Customer service
Dear Customer,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, but we are sorry that as according to our policy, we would not be able to arrange return for you.

We do regret that the item failed to satisfy you. Would you like to accept a $10 coupon?

Sincerely,
Customer Service,
www.lightinthebox.com

--------------------

January 06, 2012 03:09 AM From: Mikael Tornberg

Do you know that when a manufacturer is assigned mac addresses for their devices, they are informed that its NOT ALLOWED to use the same mac adress more than one time, and in only one device.
Please get your facts right. Then get back to me again.

--------------------

January 06, 2012 09:45 PM From: Customer service
Dear Customer,

We are sorry but after contacting our suppliers, we found that this is the design of the item and this is not a quality issue. Thank you of your kind understanding.

Sincerely,
Customer Service,
www.lightinthebox.com

--------------------

F*cking retards. Please avoid www.lightinthebox.com AND Wanscam (wan scam) if you can......

• No avatar
January 07, 2012, 07:15:20 am
you should accept the 10$ and try to get a compatible usb-wifi board elsewhere ...

January 08, 2012, 05:20:21 am

Latest answer from them. What should I answer back to them?  :-\

----------------------

Dear Customer,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. To avoid the misunderstanding, please confirm with us the information:

You have ordered 2 Wanscam - Wireless IP Surveillance Camera with Angle Control (Motion Detection, Night Vision, Free DDNS).

And each of them works well. But they can not be used together?

We are looking forward to hearing form you.

Sincerely,
Customer Service,
www.lightinthebox.com

• No avatar
January 08, 2012, 06:31:33 am
I would answer e.g.:

yes I ordered 2 Wanscam - Wireless IP Surveillance Camera with Angle Control (Motion Detection, Night Vision, Free DDNS).
They can't be used together (in the same wifi network) because the mac address on both wireless interfaces is the same ( insert mac ) and it is essential for the mac address to be unique (for operating multiple devices in the same network) as every technician will confirm to you.

p.s.: my "wanscam" was bought in autumn and its wifi mac is 7C:xx:xx:xx:A0:39 so it is not even a official mac (you don't get a licensee for the first 3 tuples). It looks like the fw makes up the mac or has it hardcoded. If they make it up, they should use the serial of the cam or the ethernet mac (like most wifi routers do). Did you compare the serial# and/or ethernet mac? Both of them could be changed via the bootloader.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 06:49:43 am by schufti »

January 08, 2012, 07:33:15 am
They don't seem to have the same ethernet mac as wifi mac, hence they don't collide when on ethernet or mixed ethernet and wifi..

I've posted your answer to them. Let's se what happens.

• No avatar
January 08, 2012, 09:54:39 am
can you check the device id (under admin/device info)?
Is the mac of my cam similar?

January 09, 2012, 03:03:50 am
can you check the device id (under admin/device info)?
Is the mac of my cam similar?

Mine is  00B8FB00AEF6. They have different device IDs. But same wifi mac as it seems.......

Latest answer from the morons:

Dear Customer,

We are sorry that we do not accept the return or replacement request for the items without quality issue.

As customer service, we do understand your situation as we also encounter this in our daily life, but would you please also kindly understand that we also have our working principles in our company. We did want to help you on this problem but we are really sorry that we have no right to handle your case as per company policy.

Please refer to the link below for more information of our return policy:
http://www.lightinthebox.com/index.php?main_page=return_policy

Again we apologize for all the inconvenience caused. Thank you for your kindly understanding in advance. Hope we can serve you again in the near future.

Sincerely,
Customer Service
www.lightinthebox.com