News:

Re-organized the forum to more cleanly delineate the development section, as the end user support side appears to have taken a life of its own!

Author Topic: J2 on Wanscam IP camera  (Read 13178 times)

November 04, 2011, 12:58:58 pm
Hey I have taken apart my Wanscam IP camera to check out the serial port on the back.  While looking at it, I noticed that on the front of it, it has another port.  Does anyone know what this is?  The first hole is for 3.3v and the last hole is for RX.

I can take it apart and grab a snapshot of it, but I only have a camera phone to use, so the quality might not be the best.

Even though the board is "different" it seems to be a clone of this: http://www.openipcam.com/forum/index.php/topic,28.0.html

And the J2 looks to be the same.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:08:29 pm by tbolton »

November 04, 2011, 05:24:24 pm
It would appear that this IS the serial port. Unless I absolutely don't know what I'm talking about.

What are the other parts on the back for then?  Labeled 1 2 3 4 on the camera housing?  I read somewhere that they were relay switches, but I'm a bit in the dark on it.

I think I should get a good digital camera and make a documented process of the serial cable creation and installation on these cameras.

Would anyone in the community be interested in that?  I need to do this to grab the firmware from my camera anyway.  So I figure the more documentation we have, the better, right?

• No avatar
November 04, 2011, 07:50:18 pm
Hi,

yes the connectors at the back of your cam are a relay contact and an alarm input.

for start on serial console have a look at the wiki and this link