News:

Registered a URL and setup a forum as the IPCam stuff really needed its own site vs my irregular blog posts about IPCam hacking at http://www.computersolutions.cn/blog

Author Topic: I deleted Image: 0 name:BOOT INFO. Could anyone send it to me.  (Read 54289 times)

• No avatar
July 10, 2011, 03:44:21 pm
Hi John,

you allready have the chinavision webui (allthough not the lastest version) and i don't think it would change anything about the i2c errors.

Regarding the devices on i2c bus, you'll have to contact the admin, he has more "insight" on the workings of these cams as he has contact to the developers. There is rumour that it is related to wrong cmos cam chip / missing drivers but on my and your cam this error is present with orig. fw too, and mine was - except for the error messages - still working. So it has to be something more/different than simple missing drivers.

My personal believe is that it is more likely due to dirty programmng or failure due to cheap components than anything related to experiments with different fw.

It would really be helpfull to know what the camera binary is trying to do what with wich piece of hw at this part of code.

If you disconnect all network connections for booting, do the dns lookups for ntpc and ddns delay the i2c errors?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 03:49:47 pm by schufti »

• No avatar
July 11, 2011, 01:09:22 am
I have contact with the developers, but they're less than helpful to be honest.

I made 2 disassemblies of camera executable if you want to look at the asm code, you can see what it does.
Check in files http://www.openipcam.com/files/Reverse%20Engineering/

i2c bus - i think its drivers looking for the camera settings, although that sits on usb.
most of the other i/o is gpio.

current sensor is : PAP7501V.

Excerpted from datasheet -

The PAP7501V High-Speed USB2.0 Camera Controller is a highly integrated and cost-effective solution for USB2.0 PC-Camera based applications. It is fully compliant with USB Video Class 1.1 and USB audio class 1.0 standard.Internal controller can be power-up loaded from external EEPROM. This allows customization of VID, PID, product string, sensor parameters...etc.

Internal EEPROM gets talked to over i2c, I don't think current design actually uses those data lines though as far as i can see.

Looking at my current board to the CCD

We have 5 pin -> stepper motor
5pin usb -> sensor (gnd, vcc, d+,d-) , 1 pin led (+shared gnd)
4pin -> microphone, motion switch (for positioning)

Looking at a driver - eg the gpca or spca5xx ones, they read / write registers which talk to the i2c sensor.
Hence my stating that its likely driver error.

The drivers under 2.4 are built into the kernel used, so if your kernel doesn't match, your software doesn't work.
Also adding to the fun is that different controllers may be paired up with different sensors.
So one camera may use the MIO360 sensor paired up with a SunPlus controller, another a different sensor.

Given that I have now made working 2.6 kernels with pretty much all uvc and gscpa device support, we may be able to put this behind us.  Assuming i get my ass out of gear and finish / release...

July 11, 2011, 03:10:39 am
@Schufti: Yes a disconnected lan cable does delay the I2C errors and the myreboot. But only slightly.

@Admin: Wow, that's a lot to take in :o It's been a while since I read machine code  :P . Do you know where the "myreboot" comes from? Since the string is nog in the assembly commands, I cloud imagine it being something from the linux kernel or boot rom. If this is so, could it be that there is some delay in the processing that triggers a watchdog timer en thus resets the controller or maybe the rom does not use a watchdog and thus no resets are given in the code? If we could disable the watchdog timer to see what happens maybe things get a bit clearer.

• No avatar
July 11, 2011, 04:10:08 am
There is no watchdog timer.

The myreboot is just a routine in the /bin/camera executable.
It does that if it thinks it can't initialize the camera hardware during its initialization process.

July 11, 2011, 04:24:22 am
In the hardware of the Winbond W90N745 a watchdog is present and it even had a hardware pin. Shared with USB power (e.o.). But if it is not activated in SW then it's not used.

The (thanks to Schufti) repaired software is from an identical camera. Just the webui is not of the same release. So the drivers should be in de fw or am I mistaken?

July 11, 2011, 04:26:11 am
It seems that in all wrong boots the message "=> usb_rtusb_open" is missing. So some USB device is not starting ...  :-\

• No avatar
July 11, 2011, 07:43:25 am
the "usb_rtusb_open" for me is related to the WLAN (Ralink rt71/rt73) which is connected via usb also.

I'm still interested if the same initial (sometimes repeated) i2c error that seems to be more or less frequent in every "clone" is present in genuine old/new foscam devices, too?

July 11, 2011, 08:02:35 am
Looking at all the boot logs, all failures end with exactly 10 sets of failures followed by myreboot.

_i2c_write: write i2c error
write i2c error
write i2c error
write i2c error
write i2c error
write i2c error
write i2c error
write i2c error
write i2c error
write i2c error
write i2c error
myreboot

Yesterday I removed the WLAN module and the USB error is still shown.

• No avatar
July 11, 2011, 03:25:53 pm
I think the only chance to get rid of the usb error will be to clear all WLAN settings and disable WLAN

July 12, 2011, 02:41:52 am
Getting rid of the WiFi functionality would be a problem. I was just wondering if this error was for the camera module.

@Admin: I hope the new custom firmware will be available soon  ;)

July 18, 2011, 10:44:03 am
It's been quiet for a few day. Any new ideas or developments?
I stll haven't gotten hold of my ex collegue. Could be that he is on vacation.

Hope te hear from you 8)

Regards,
John

• No avatar
July 18, 2011, 01:57:02 pm
maybe try the amdins new 2.6 fw meanwhile.
but I think it is without webui at the moment, only to see if it's working and detecting all your hw.

July 19, 2011, 06:36:47 am
Hi Schufti,

Good tip. I'll try it asap and let you know.

Regards,
John

July 24, 2011, 01:40:33 am
Hi Schufti and Admin,

Do you know how to flash the files into the cam? I get 2 files. The Romfs.img and a zimage file. This last file cannot be unzipped.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,
John

• No avatar
July 24, 2011, 03:02:34 am
Have you tried reading the very long post and wiki page I made with instructions on testing it perhaps?

http://wiki.openipcam.com/index.php/Test_Firmware_Installation
http://www.openipcam.com/forum/index.php/topic,143.0.html