News:

Registered a URL and setup a forum as the IPCam stuff really needed its own site vs my irregular blog posts about IPCam hacking at http://www.computersolutions.cn/blog

Author Topic: EASYN - error firmware  (Read 65778 times)

• No avatar
February 22, 2014, 04:25:22 am
Hello everybody,

finally I have my USB to serial interface!!! Took forever to get here.
Just one question before I start rescuing my cam: Can I use the GPIO port of my cam as well to flash the latest firmware? Or do I have to solder some pins or cables on the board of my cam like shown in the picture above? I am not really good at soldering so I will ask a friend of mine to do that for me. That means I more delay until I can repair my cam ;-)

Thanks everybody (reall a great forum here)
Regards
Graham

• No avatar
February 24, 2014, 01:57:01 am
why do you complain about the delivery? it was the earliest date from the mentioned timespan.
unfortunately the necessary contacts are only available on the shown solderpoints ... maybe your friend can add some simple connector (like old soundcard-cd cable or ic-socket) to be more versatile

• No avatar
February 24, 2014, 03:11:42 am
Hi Schufti,

why do you complain about the delivery? it was the earliest date from the mentioned timespan.

Well yeah it sounded like I complain about the delivery. But to be honest I complain more about myself. I did not notice that the delivery takes that long when I ordered. So it was not the fault of the people I ordered from but my fault that I did not notice. But still it felt like it took forever :-)

OK then I will see what my friend can do. If I want to solder some pins I need to get them first as well.

Thanks again Schufti

• No avatar
February 26, 2014, 02:52:54 am
beware that the holes are in 2mm pitch not the common 2.54mm.
So it is practical to use a short cable, so you can use standard 2.54mm connectors and have it accessible from the outside when the cam is closed.

• No avatar
March 30, 2014, 05:30:52 am
Finally I have my cables hooked up to the cams board. I would start to flash the firmware according like it is described in this link http://www.neknek.net/. But I do not know which cable is what. Are there any descriptions about that?

• No avatar
March 30, 2014, 06:01:25 am
OK I just tried to find out which cable is 3,3V,TX,RX and GND from the picture neknek and Don posted and then I tried to connect. Crossing TX and RX like recommended in NekNek's instructions. When I cross RX and TX the data LED on my USB UART interface stays off. If i do not crosslink RX and TX then the data LED lights. When I open a Hyperterminal window and connect and then turn on the cam nothing happens. I think I should get some response like discribed in NekNek's instructions. Does anybody have another link with instructions maybe?

Does that mean my cam is lost when nothing appears in HyperTerminal?

Thanks in Advance everybody.

Graham
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:25:09 pm by Graham »

• No avatar
March 31, 2014, 01:48:22 am
Hi,
maybe you could give us a link to your adapter, this would make things easier.
Generally you only need gnd, rx, tx you shouldn't connect the 3.3V.
Finding gnd should be easy, it is usually the square pad and the black cable.

To check if your adapter / hyperterm setup are at all working, you could connect rx to tx (on the adapter, not the cam) this should then echo each character you type in hyperterm (or PuTTY which I prefer)

after this being positive we can look at connecting the cam.
Does the cam just sit there or does it show some signs of initialisation ?

• No avatar
March 31, 2014, 02:48:32 pm
Hi Schufti,

well my USB to TTL Adapter looks exactly like the one Don posted in his post. There is no brand or anything printed on it. It is hooked up to my COM6.

So used Putty to connect to it with the option serial and Speed 115200. When I directly connect TX and RX on my adapter and connect with putty I can type something and when I hit enter the curser jumps right at the beginning of the line. What I typed in stays in the same line. When I do not directly connect RX and TX I cannot type into the putty window.

Does that help in some way?

Thanks for your help

Graham

P.S. your nick sounds German ;-)

• No avatar
April 01, 2014, 06:55:57 am
Hi,
yes that tells us that your setup of the adapter and PuTTY is working ok.
So we can concentrate on the connection cam-adapter.

If the adapter has markings on the pins, try just connecting gnd-pin to the square pad on the cam and Rx-pin to the 2nd or 3rd after the square one and see if you get any (garbled) output in PuTTY on either pin. You could try the same with the Tx-pin. At one of the four combinations there should be output on the screen.

yes, I am german speaking.

• No avatar
April 02, 2014, 03:12:20 pm
Great that worked. I made it to the point where I can get some garbled output in PuTTY with just two cable connected. I guess that is good news. What to do now? Is the output encrypted?

Danke für die Hilfe :-)

Graham

• No avatar
April 03, 2014, 02:24:56 am
Hi,
if the output is garbled, then there are 2 possibilities:

a) simple one: wrong baudrate selected in PuTTY
can't remember what is used, try anything between 115200 and 9600

b) complex: connections are not correct still:
  check if the square pad is really gnd (e.g. ohm meter to gnd of power). check if connected pin of adapter is really gnd.
  if this was correct it can only be a) if not, restart previous procedure with new gnd connection.

if you can now read bootloader messages, the "other" adapter-pin (Tx/Rx) goes most likely to the unused pad of the 2 middle ones.

During boot-up the bootloader should react on input if all is correct.

you then may follow the "Firmware Recovery - method #2" thread

• No avatar
April 13, 2014, 02:14:28 pm
Hi,

I tried several things now and still do not get a readable output. I think I did not select GND correctly. I need to get a ohm meter to find out I guess. The connections I tried was 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600 and 115200. Those are the only possible ones righ? Or did I miss something?

Thanks
Graham

• No avatar
April 14, 2014, 02:55:23 am
yes, that covers all reasonable baudrates.

BUT I see I made a mistake in my post from 31.3./1.4., GND is not the square pad!
The pictures are correct, GND most likely is the 3rd. I mixed this up with some other gadget I'm currently working on, sorry.

So if it is really a "clone" then chances are extremly high they didn't change the pinout or baudrate and the way forward would be to try again with 115200 baud, connect TxD to the 1st (square) pad, RxD to the 2nd and gnd to the 3rd, do not connect the 4th. Try and see if there is any output. If not just swap RxD and TxD.

• No avatar
May 01, 2014, 11:45:08 am
Hi Schufti.

I finally have everything running! I am following the tutorial you quoted but I simplay can not find any working link to download Kermit. Can you help me out? Maybe I am simply to dumb to download from the webpage but I think the linke there is dead.

Thanks for your help
Graham

• No avatar
May 01, 2014, 11:59:41 am
I found Kermit on a different website now. But I can not really use it. I guess I need to configure it like I configured Putty before to get a connection, right?
Well I cannot do that because Kermit just accepts connection on COM port 1 to 4 and my serial adapter is on COM 6. Can I change that somehow?

EDIT:
So I have the script now. There was some problems with my browser. But I still do not have Kermit or the wrong Kermit version I think. Trying to fix that too.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:12:57 am by Graham »