News:

Registered a URL and setup a forum as the IPCam stuff really needed its own site vs my irregular blog posts about IPCam hacking at http://www.computersolutions.cn/blog

Author Topic: Port number allocation for individual IP webcams  (Read 2605 times)

June 12, 2013, 10:31:43 am
Hi everyone,

I am new to IP webcams but hope to set up a small business soon installing home based surveillence systems to help monitor single elderly and disabled people.

I would lilke to know if there are standard port number allocations for IP cams either official or otherwise?

I have been told certain port numbers should be avoided such as '80' but am sure there are others as well. I do not want to cause any software conficts due to allocating preset/commonly used ports.

I have been working from 100 onwards but I am just guessing here...

If anyone has any links or info on this matter I would be very grateful.

Many Thanks in advance.

Dave
Coventry UK

June 13, 2013, 03:12:17 am
Many port numbers already have uses, for example 110 is used for downloading e-mail, so picking a port at random is generally not a good idea if you want to avoid a conflict.  Wikipedia has a good list of which ports are used for what.

You are unlikely to run into problems if you use port 80, unless you are installing a camera at a site which also runs a web server, or you want to install multiple cameras sharing a single internet connection and IP address.

Ports above 49152 are free for custom use, so if you really want to avoid problems you could start at say 50000 and go up from there for each camera.

Avoiding port 80 for security reasons is a bit misguided.  Your camera will be found if it is not properly secured regardless of what port it is on, so if you're only worried about security just stick with port 80.  Doing this will force you to be extra careful about making sure the camera is secured from the Internet at large.

And of course if you're new to it all, make sure you know how to deal with port forwarding and firewalls, and set every camera's login password to something different, as people probably don't want just anyone being able to waltz in and watch their camera from the other side of the world ;-)