News:

Re-organized the forum to more cleanly delineate the development section, as the end user support side appears to have taken a life of its own!

Author Topic: My Stolen Laptop  (Read 3973 times)

• No avatar
March 08, 2011, 01:29:59 pm
The laptop I did a great deal of work on the camera software got stolen in November last year from my flat in Cape Town.  I built it to spec - IBM didn't make a model like it, so it has a fairly unique build.

While checking Gumtree in Cape Town today, I saw one for sale which looks virtually identical!

http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Stuff-for-Sale-computers-software-Lenovo-t61p-i7-W0QQAdIdZ263791280

Seller has the CPU details wrong, but otherwise its identical.  It also has the sticker removed on the right side just like I did on mine.

The seller is quite close to our address too - less than 5km away.  Although I can't be 100% certain until I see the actual unit, I'm fairly confident its mine (due to the specs).

We've called the police, and told them we've seen it for sale (it was reported stolen, and we have a Docket number from the police 258/11/2010).

They want a serial number though, so am trying to get the staff to ask the seller I bought it from if he has it, if not, will try to persuade the police to come with us to check the laptop, and give them the details of the hardware that I do know - I updated the ram, hdd, cpu, battery etc.  Plus the laptop comes from a different country, so I have a lot of detail I wouldn't know unless it was mine.
Just don't have the serial details, doh!

Here's hoping I get it back, and they catch the guy!
If I get really lucky, he'll have my other laptop that got stolen at the same time.

Fingers crossed!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 01:32:19 pm by admin »

March 08, 2011, 08:14:46 pm
Well just call again and said you want to see the laptop because you want to buy it.. Or if you already called, ask a friend to go there and act like hes gonna buy the units. Ask him to mark down anythings he can see on the computer.. Sometime they are so dumb they dont even format the hard drive.. !

• No avatar
March 09, 2011, 04:53:34 am
Seller is a shop.

After much calling of the police, they finally agreed to a meeting.
The warrant officer is coming to our house tomorrow morning to discuss.

Then he'll go to the shop. 
The shop now claims they "sold" it.  Which is unlikely, seeing that yesterday they said they had it.

They should have a record of who they bought it from, and who they sold it to according to South African law.

Police say if he doesnt have any records of sales then he will get fined for not keeping trading records, as thats required for second hand sales.  Plus that also means that we can report them to SARS for evading taxes as they aren't putting records in for sales as is required.   The tax bureau is much better than the police when it comes to ensuring things are done properly.

I probably won't get my laptop back, but at least I'll be in a position to make sure that the shop gets what they deserve.
If they have all the paperwork and are above board, then no problem, we follow the chain. 
If they haven't they'll get into appropriate trouble.

Will update tomorrow when I know more.

• No avatar
March 23, 2011, 02:31:14 pm
Thought I'd update as I have been asked.

Police are basically useless, as I don't have the serial for the laptop.
They will charge the seller for selling (allegedly according to me) stolen property, plus not keeping records of seller and purchaser, which are required by law, but I basically won't get my laptop back.

I'll be back in 2 weeks, and can hassle police to work on this though, so will see what happens.

I probably won't get my laptop back, but I will cause pain and suffering to those who dealt with it at least..