News:

Registered a URL and setup a forum as the IPCam stuff really needed its own site vs my irregular blog posts about IPCam hacking at http://www.computersolutions.cn/blog

Author Topic: building x264 on foscam 541  (Read 4291 times)

May 30, 2013, 06:15:52 pm
As an experiment, I'd like to try building x264 on uclinux-3.1 for the foscam 541.
I'm not sure if this will even work, and if it does, the processor might be way too slow to handle any kind of h.264 encoding, but Id still like to see if it would be feasible to pull video from the camera sensor (in either mjpg or yuv if thats possible) and convert it to a baseline h.264 stream.

The problem is that the x264 build seems somewhat complicated and difficult to integrate into the uclinux build environment. I ran the x264 configure command and pointed to the arm-2011* toolchain, and it started compiling but it failed when looking for 'libdl' for a sub-component (opencl). From what I understand, building uclinux for the foscam platform doesnt support dynamic linking, is this correct? The x264 config/makefile doesnt appear to have any option to force everything to be statically linked & compiled.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can force this to compile & work? Initially, Id just like to try to get the x264 command line utility running so that I can try piping video to it from the camera sensor.

June 01, 2013, 02:16:08 am
Can you configure x264 without certain features so that it doesn't need dynamic linking?

If not, maybe you can comment out the lines that use libdl and replace them with dummy calls that fail, then any features needing a dynamic link (like OpenCL) will just be unavailable.

• No avatar
January 14, 2015, 06:53:56 am
Can to implement it?