News:

Re-organized the forum to more cleanly delineate the development section, as the end user support side appears to have taken a life of its own!

Author Topic: Another Foscam FI8908W Clone Firmware Exploration  (Read 135928 times)

April 19, 2013, 05:05:20 pm
Yes I end up following your post to every line.. I finally got it to send the image and other files, but my camera still keeps rebooting or restarting, the pc see it and I can move the camera around but it doesn't show a image..
Would have any idea why it would keep restarting rebooting whatever? I know it not the frimware I have updated and down graded.. and nothing.
Please any help..
Thanks again Don   your post was very helpful

April 19, 2013, 05:11:45 pm
Yes I end up following your post to every line.. I finally got it to send the image and other files, but my camera still keeps rebooting or restarting, the pc see it and I can move the camera around but it doesn't show a image..
Would have any idea why it would keep restarting rebooting whatever? I know it not the frimware I have updated and down graded.. and nothing.
Please any help..
Thanks again Don   your post was very helpful
You are very welcome.

I assume this is happening in both wired and wireless mode? Have you tried both to see if one is ok and the other is not?

If so. Have you tried to use the reset button on the bottom of the camera, while the camera is powered on? You can use a bent paperclip to do this, and hold the reset button down while the camera is powered on, for 30 seconds.

If all the above fail. Most likely, some hardware component in the camera is causing the cameras initialization process to fail. So, the camera tries to auto-reboot to attempt to resolve that.

Don

April 20, 2013, 07:47:45 am
Thanks for the reply
Yes I tried all the reset button, wired, and wireless, nothing. The cam connects for seconds but shows nothing for a image, I can mess with the setting until it reboots seconds later..
When I had in bootloader, just before it would reboot it show this error.
ntpc.c: ntp server time.nist.govs ip

So I think it's like you say a hardware failure, I talk to a rep a Foscam about a warranty exchange because the cam is less than a year old, but because it a reseller I would have to ship it to them, pay for shipping and 45 dollars for the exchange. I see why the have the SCAM on Foscam..lol

April 20, 2013, 08:10:17 am
Thanks for the reply
Yes I tried all the reset button, wired, and wireless, nothing. The cam connects for seconds but shows nothing for a image, I can mess with the setting until it reboots seconds later..
When I had in bootloader, just before it would reboot it show this error.
ntpc.c: ntp server time.nist.govs ip

So I think it's like you say a hardware failure, I talk to a rep a Foscam about a warranty exchange because the cam is less than a year old, but because it a reseller I would have to ship it to them, pay for shipping and 45 dollars for the exchange. I see why the have the SCAM on Foscam..lol
You are very welcome.

Have you tried to change the cameras time sync settings. To see for example if you can change to sync with PC vs. what the NTP Server settings are now, to see if that changes anything?

I have heard some people complain, that if their Router/AP blocked access to the NTP server and/or DDNS, that their camera would go into a loop. Not sure if this is the same problem. But changing how the camera syncs time might help see if your problem could be the same.

If your firmware level allows disabling the DDNS, you might wish to try and do that as well. If the above change has no impact. Older firmware versions don't allow disabling the DDNS via the Standard Camera Interface GUI that comes with the camera. There are other methods via .cgi commands that can do this, if needed, however.

Of course, you could check to see if your Router/AP is blocking the NTP Server connection request and if it is also blocking the DDNS connection request as well.

More details about this, as well as how to resolve it. Can be found here:

http://foscam.us/forum/reboots-due-to-unreachable-ddns-t4082.html#p19292

Don
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:48:45 am by TheUberOverLord »

April 21, 2013, 03:44:17 pm
Hey Don
  I did what you mention, I set the time and sync with the pc, on the camera web page, and it show the right time on the web page.
 But when I check it out with jtag, it said this 1969-12-31 17:00  and it show a ip address and it says access.
  It also showed this error  pid 30: failed 1792   also a different something like video stopped

April 21, 2013, 04:21:53 pm
Hey Don
  I did what you mention, I set the time and sync with the pc, on the camera web page, and it show the right time on the web page.
 But when I check it out with jtag, it said this 1969-12-31 17:00  and it show a ip address and it says access.
  It also showed this error  pid 30: failed 1792   also a different something like video stopped

Has the looping stopped?

Don

April 21, 2013, 04:27:53 pm
No still with the looping, seems like it connects for 4 seconds more.. still rebooting and resetting..

April 21, 2013, 04:29:54 pm
No still with the looping, seems like it connects for 4 seconds more.. still rebooting and resetting..

Please try following the instructions here. To disable your DDNS:

http://foscam.us/forum/security-concern-with-myfoscam-org-t3728-10.html#p17816

Please also follow the instructions to save your DDNS information, so that if needed, you can restore it later.

You should also disable UPnP. The end-goal here is to try and disable anything that is external, that the camera maybe getting hung-up on during initialization. To see, if those things, somehow or someway could be causing the initialization loop you are seeing vs. some other problem.

Those external things are:

1. Time Servers
2. DDNS
3. UPnP

Don
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:44:28 am by TheUberOverLord »

April 21, 2013, 04:39:41 pm
Hello
 The codes on to diable DDNS do copy and paste them in Clear terminal?  I don't understand where to paste the codes..

Also the errors I was telling you about in my last reply, those error is what I get just before the cam reboots.

April 21, 2013, 04:40:57 pm
Hello
 The codes on to diable DDNS do copy and paste them in Clear terminal?  I don't understand where to paste the codes..

Also the errors I was telling you about in my last reply, those error is what I get just before the cam reboots.

The instructions include .cgi commands that are executed in a browser window. Not via the serial interface to the camera.

Don

April 21, 2013, 06:07:39 pm
So right in the search bar?

April 21, 2013, 06:09:23 pm
So right in the search bar?

Right where you enter web sites in your browser window.

Don

April 26, 2013, 04:43:26 pm
Hey Don
 Thanks for all your help man.. That didn't work, I sent the system logs from clear terminal, to foscam tech, they say what is happening is the lens motherboard, is not communicating to the ip cam motherboard. Thats why I keep getting reboots, right before  the camera is supposed to show a image..
 Anyway there going to let me exchange but they want 45 dollars, I think i'm going to do it..
Thanks again for all the help and replies..

May 03, 2013, 10:46:56 pm
@TheUberOverLord: Just FYI to save you some trouble, when the bootloader gives you the prompt to press ESC you can also type a capital B to do the same thing, so you don't have to mess around with sending the code for ESC.  Found this out in the bootloader manual.

May 04, 2013, 02:58:11 am
@TheUberOverLord: Just FYI to save you some trouble, when the bootloader gives you the prompt to press ESC you can also type a capital B to do the same thing, so you don't have to mess around with sending the code for ESC.  Found this out in the bootloader manual.

Yes. Sadly. My original post is at the maximum number of characters. I was going to add that earlier, but the post edit would not take, because the post exceeded maximum text length. So, thanks.

Don