News:

Re-organized the forum to more cleanly delineate the development section, as the end user support side appears to have taken a life of its own!

Author Topic: systematic tinkering procedure  (Read 4185 times)

May 06, 2012, 01:03:32 pm
i know, that for some, the entire process is already a given. But after reading from some posts here, there is still a lot of howto that needs to be systematically documented in order for a more orderly approach into tinkering with an ip camera's innards. There are many brands of ipcam out there, so I guess that the very first thing that needs to get determined is how to systematically identify or via some signatures retrieved by whatever wiring procedure, so that one may be guided as to the place with much higher changes of finding a matching firmware. For example, I just bought an ipcam yesterday and I wanted to change the logo in the Web interface. From what I read so far, it seems that there is a need to solder some pins inside in board. What cable interface should I used for this? I assume it's a serial cable? It also seems that, that I have to use some terminal at the linux side to talk to the board. I guess, what I'm looking for are the very basics of how to start the tinkering process so that the boot logs can provide more information rather than screenshots or pictures which does not really tell that much. Thank you

May 06, 2012, 02:36:39 pm
While I do not disagree that documentation could be better, more exists than you allude to. Have you read the wiki? Some of your questions are answered there, such as the serial interface.

It is not necessarily true that you must "solder some pins inside in board" in order to "change the logo in the Web interface". It does, of course, depend upon your camera model and whether the correct webui is available, either from the manufacturer or from the FILES section of this website. Possessing the webui file you can extract the entire webpage using instructions that are also in the wiki, alter the logo, repack and install via the webui interface for updating - no need to "need to solder some pins inside in board"

I encourage you to fully acquaint yourself with all of the resources on this website - not just the forum dialogue.

• No avatar
June 07, 2012, 12:18:16 am
I'm planning a bit of a revamp of the site along the lines of the OpenElec layout.
Haven't started on that yet, probably get my staff to look at it next week sometime.

Will also take another look at integrating the wiki+forum logins, as I basically locked down the wiki due to spam damage,but that means not many people have access without asking me.

If anyone has suggestions for improvement, let me know, as I'm open to idea's.

June 07, 2012, 06:01:07 pm
By OpenElec are you referring to http://openelec.tv/? That would be ok if it has a forum tab. The one thing that is seriously missing, in my opinion, is an FAQ. The same questions are repeated over and over. I understand why - the answers to virtually every question are in the forum or wiki but scattered around within the many different topics and threads.