News:

I have another forum dedicate to arcade board and handheld reverse engineering over at http://forum.retrosticks.com

Author Topic: anyone have firmware for Wansview NCB-541W, or another solution?  (Read 7960 times)

April 12, 2012, 08:10:30 PM
I've been searching for a while and these forums seem like the best source of info on Wansview cameras, so I humbly submit to you my issue:

I just bought a Wansview NCB-541W (which I believe is also known as the NC541). After getting it set up, I wasn't hearing any audio, so I decided to flash it with the firmware for the Foscam FI8908W, 11.22.2.30. I figured it'd be ok since the Wansview site actually links to the Foscam site for firmware, however, although with the new firmware I now have audio (at least one-way), I can no longer connect wirelessly to the camera.

I've tried various WebUI versions, and currently I'm using 0.0.4.17.

I'm not aware of any way to revert to the original firmware, since this file is not on the CD that came with the camera, or, as far as I can tell, anywhere on the web. I even called the number for Wansview technical support, which turned out to be Foscam tech support, to find out what firmware I should use, but, as you might imagine, I received no help.

The only other thing I'll mention is that, although this camera is advertised as being b/g compatible, it was connecting to the 2.4 GHz band of my N-only wireless network prior to me flashing the Foscam firmware.

Any ideas how I might get wireless connectivity back? Audio would be nice, too!

April 14, 2012, 07:30:54 AM
Ok well perhaps I was wrong about firmware for the NC541 not being available. In the FTP section of this site, I found, under "/files/Firmware/NC541/NCB0541W", several files, including, among others, "bootinfo.bin", "nc541w-linux.zip", and "nc541w-romfs.img". The zip archive contains a file called "linux.bin".
Would I use any of these to upgrade (or, in my case, restore) the device firmware?
Thanks everybody!

• No avatar
April 16, 2012, 07:59:38 AM
unfortunately OEMs start using various USB-WiFi boards without further notice ;)

you could open the cam and look which wifi chipset is used and someone might be in the know...

or try to flash different foscam firmwares (not webui, that doesn't matter)
or wansview (there are some newer hidden in threads, especially with new wifi)

April 16, 2012, 01:18:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think I found the right set of files on this site, but I need to know which one specifically to use for the firmware upgrade - is it the one called "romfs.img"?

• No avatar
April 16, 2012, 05:09:57 PM
the drivers usually are compiled into the kernel -> so linuz.zip is your friend
but there are a lot of dependencies between the drivers and camera binary that is in romfs, so update the romfs along with linux.zip

July 07, 2012, 02:53:47 PM
I decided it was a good idea to update to the system firmware to one of the Foscam firmwares because their site links to the Foscam site firmware. Now my WIFI is broken. I can download the firmwares from this site but they will not upload correctly with the webui firmware update control. I would really hope to not have to use the command line interface to fix my camera. Is there a way to bundle these files into one *.bin that will work with the ui?

Failing that, I am unfamiliar with using the command line in this context. Is there a place where I can read more about how to upload these disparate firmware elements manually?

October 15, 2012, 09:57:27 AM
I was wondering the same thing....I have the files, but wasn't sure what to do with them.  Previously I had updated the firmmware via the "Upgrade Device Firmware" option in the web UI....but I don't know if I can do the same with these files?