News:

Re-organized the forum to more cleanly delineate the development section, as the end user support side appears to have taken a life of its own!

Author Topic: Microphone sensitivity  (Read 4885 times)

December 04, 2011, 06:42:15 pm
Since I use Linux and the microphones are pretty much not supported except in Micro$oft's internet Explorer, I really haven't bothered with the built-in microphones other than one test to listen to them once with VLC. Currently I am on a project to equip my daughter's house with four cameras which I want in a single screen. As a result, I am having to set this up on Windows. I tried testing the microphone of both a FOSCAM 1809 and a WansView NC541/W. The microphones on both have equally poor sensitivity. I find the built-in microphones so insensitive as to be close to worthless. What is the experience of others?

I think that I am going to use WansView cameras (I like them the best) and the built-in Multi-View capability to display the four cameras. I'll be using motion sensing on a couple of them to send alerts via SMS to a cell phone as well as some audio indicator on a single PC.

I tested some software called Ispy http://www.ispyconnect.com/ and it looks promising but the totally free version is too limited. All of the features that I need require an $8/monthly web service in the middle. No thanks. If audio doesn't turn out to be a serious issue, I may put ZoneMinder onto a small Linux box and give that to her.

December 06, 2011, 11:38:51 pm
First of all: The AUDIO jack on the back of the 541, is it for speaker or microphone? I don't know yet and have not found that info anywhere, which is very strange (let alone the IO ports on the terminal block! Which are switch inputs, which are switch outputs?)

December 06, 2011, 11:59:29 pm
The jack on the back is for speaker connection. Only the microphone is built-in.

The pinout for a foscam's terminal block is attached. I believe that the WansView is the same.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:10:27 am by celem »

December 08, 2011, 02:02:02 pm
Thanks celem. I totally missed your message. I was looking under my last post.
The info was exactly what I needed!

It is so bizarre that there is nothing in the manual about the pinouts and the specs state external microphone and speaker. These manufacturers make great products for the money and then severely degrade product use and certainly customer purchases simply because of poor documentation.