News:

Registered a URL and setup a forum as the IPCam stuff really needed its own site vs my irregular blog posts about IPCam hacking at http://www.computersolutions.cn/blog

Author Topic: A How To Access Your IP Cameras From Linux or a Mac If You Are Having Trouble  (Read 3691 times)

February 07, 2016, 07:46:23 pm
If you have a Linux system or a Mac system which has not been able to access your IP Cameras. Due to your IP Cameras Plug-in or Interface only supporting Windows. Here are methods that will and do work.

Note: Using the Windows 7 VM ("Virtual Machine") is suggested. Because these VM's created by Microsoft, were built in 2014 and Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 were less stable than Windows 7 at that time.

Please go here from a browser in Linux. This will work for a Mac as well if you select the Mac tab:

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/linux/

Choose:

Virtual Machine: IE 9 on Win7

Select Platform: VirtualBox

Download the file onto your Linux system.

Then click on "View Installation Instructions" ("From the web page at the link above") and read it and also save the .pdf to your Linux system as well. For future reference.

In Linux. Use the Linux Archive Manager to extract the .zip file after the above download completes. Once done, there should be a *.ova file in the same folder as the .zip file.

In Linux, install VirtualBox. In Ubuntu for example, you can use the "Ubuntu Software Center" to do this by searching for "VirtualBox" and then installing it.

After installing VirtualBox. In Linux. Right click on the *.ova file and then choose open with VirtualBox. It will show default settings. I would stick with the 25GB and change memory from 512 MB to 1024 MB. ("It will work with the 512 MB default but it's slow to load the cameras web interface"). Then create the Virtual machine.

This will allow you to use a Windows 7 VM with both Linux and Mac systems emulating a Windows 7 System a using IE ("Internet Explorer") 9 browser which is compatible with the cameras plug-in. You can then start/stop the VM as needed to access your IP Cameras.

While this is not a perfect solution, due to the additional disk space and memory resources it requires. It does work well to access your IP Cameras from a Linux system or if you have a Mac and you have been unable to access your IP Cameras from your system. At minimum, it will allow you to setup and configure your IP Cameras. From a Linux or Mac system.

Note: You will need to recreate the VM every 90 days because Microsoft forces this VM to expire after 90 days.

After the VM starts. The desktop background will always contain instructions on how to activate and extend the VM. Please read those instructions carefully.

You should be able to also create a "Snapshot" in VirtualBox to reset the expiration. If you take that snapshot prior to initially starting the VM for the first time, after you have set the defaults for the VM. But I have not had it running for 90 days yet to expire. So not sure about that actually working or not.

If that works as claimed ("Update: It does work as claimed") would allow you to delete the .zip and .ova file that were required to initially setup the VM. Freeing up near 8 GB of disk space. By simply loading the VM from the initial Snapshot whenever the VM expires.

You can delete the VM and VirtualBox afterwards. Any time you wish. If you simply want to try this method and change your mind later. Regaining any disk space used by the VM.

If desired. Once you use the VM to setup and configure your IP Camera. You can/could also use methods like this to check on your IP Cameras using any Internet  browser capable device which is using any browser. From within your local network and/or remotely. Without any need to start and run the VM to do so. Just another possible access method for your IP Cameras, once they have been configured:

http://107.170.59.150/

Don
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:05:20 pm by TheUberOverLord »

February 07, 2016, 07:51:41 pm
I run Ubuntu 15.10 on a Laptop that is a triple boot system for Windows 8.1, Windows 10.1 and Ubuntu 15.10. Using this Windows 7 VM from within Ubuntu 15.10, also allows me besides accessing the IP Cameras interface. To now have access to four different Operating Systems on the same system. For testing.

For the curious. The laptop is a Dell 3541 64 bit based Inspiron running Windows 8.1 and guaranteed to be upgradeable to Windows 10 ("Which it was") , 4GB ram, 500GB drive, 8X DVD +/- RW Drive, 4 CPU cores clocked at 1.8 - 2.4 GHz (With turbo boost) with a touch screen and 15.60 screen size.

Which I was able to purchase from the Dell Outlet on Jan 24, 2016 as a "Scratch and Dent" refurbished laptop from Dell that includes a 1 year warranty ("Which I could have paid extra to extend") for $212.68 U.S. Which included tax and shipping. Original price was $199.00 U.S. Which included shipping, but did not include tax. It was delivered on Jan 29, 2016. Five days after ordering it.

Interesting enough, I  could find no "Scratches or Dents". I checked the Dell outlet laptops being sold daily for 2 weeks before finding this deal. It works well and being a developer which includes developing applications for IP Cameras. I now use this laptop as my primary system yet I have 4 other systems which I was using that each had individually and standalone Operating systems of Vista, Win 7, Win 8.1 and a Win 10 with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS as a dual boot.

I can upgrade to 8GB ram max and may in the future, but my highest ram usage currently is in the high 60 percentiles. Even while running Ubuntu 15.10 with a Win 7 VM running along side it, at the same time. While I have the 500GB disk partitioned to support each Operating System. I have plenty of free disk space. For each disk partition.

I partitioned the 500GB disk:

Win 8.1 300GB
Win 10 75GB
Ubuntu 15.10 50GB - The Win7 VM uses disk space from here.

I can reallocate disk space as needed in the future as well.

I installed each Operating System using the same 8GB USB memory card/stick. Reformatting it after each install. Making sure that all my Windows versions were installed first. Using a Microsoft Utility called "Windows USB/DVD Download Tool" for converting the latest Microsoft ISO for the Windows 10 version. Then finally, converting the ISO for Ubuntu 15.10 with "Rufus" to install Ubuntu 15.10.

Most people don't realize that because Win 7, Win 8 and Win 8.1 can upgrade to Windows 10 for FREE. That if one chooses. One can install Windows 10 and it will activate using the Key for the prior Operating System while running as a dual boot and not replacing that Operating System. Allowing you to run what you have and also use Windows 10. One simply needs to choose the "Custom Install" option and choose a disk or a disk area on the same disk of where Windows 10 should be installed, during the USB memory card boot.

I quote. From the Microsoft.com link below:

"WARNING: If you are still using Build 10240, do not use the Windows 10 ISO to format your PC. Upgrade first from an activated Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, ensure the Windows 10 installation is activated, then you can perform a clean install. If you are using build 10586 or what is known as the November Update (1511), this rule does not apply, read below.

UPDATE: Previously, Windows 7, Windows 8.0 and Windows 8.1 users needed to have either of those versions of Windows installed and activated in order to qualify for the free upgrade offer. For persons who needed to perform a clean install of Windows 10 from the outset, it was a two step process of first validating the machine through the upgrade routine, ensure the Windows 10 Upgrade was activated, then proceed to perform a Reset. With the latest November Update (1511), users no longer have to go through this process."

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-download-official-windows-10-iso-files/35cde7ec-5b6f-481c-a02d-dadf465df326

The answer above, by Microsoft. Was updated due to the new Windows 10 ISO's, which I reference here.

More details:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

The FAQ ("After confirming the Windows 10 ISO you want") from the above link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/faq

Even the tool used to convert the Microsoft ISO provided by Microsoft to use in a USB Memory stick for Windows 10. Which I reference here. Is produced and provided by Microsoft. It's also suggested in the FAQ above under "I've download an ISO file, now what?":

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Nothing nefarious was done. All accomplished, by using and following only explicit Microsoft instructions from Microsoft.com. Using a unmodified Microsoft ISO and their Tool. BOTH directly downloaded from Microsoft.com. No editing or changes of any kind, were done. No commands were used, of any kind. No deviations, of any kind for the Windows 10 Installation instructions provided by Microsoft, took place. As in EVER.  The Windows 10 installation was activated automatically while maintaining the activation for Windows 8.1 ("As shown below"). As stated and confirmed above. All sanctioned by Microsoft using their latest Windows 10 ISO:

Click on image for larger view of same

As you can see by the above images. The Windows 8.1 Dell OEM product key is different than the automatically assigned Windows 10 product key during the install of the latest Windows 10 ISO downloaded from Microsoft.com from a USB memory stick which was created by the ISO to USB tool downloaded from and provided by Microsoft.com.

Activation in Windows 10 ("With updated notes for latest ISO's provided by Microsoft.com")

I quote from the link below: "Digital entitlement is a new method of activation in Windows 10 that doesn't require you to enter a product key"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10

Windows 10 Eula

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

The EXACT words you see above. When using the Microsoft Windows 10 FREE upgrade. After installing Windows 10. From Windows 10. Can be found here:

All Settings -> System -> About ("Read the Microsoft Software License Terms")

Nothing minus using Microsoft's own latest released ISO for Windows 10, was done to install Windows 10 along side of Windows 8.1 as a dual boot and it was activated automatically by Microsoft afterwards. So, it works and is legal. You need to get certified as a "Para Legal". Because your claim to be licensed to "Practice Law" at this stage. Is laughable, at best.

Everything was taken care of automatically. I did not need to edit any Windows boot-loader options or change any Ubuntu GRUB configuration.

My Bios allows me to choose which boot loader to use. Ubuntu or Windows. I chose Windows. Because I can use F12 during boot to select Ubuntu to boot from at any time and when using the Windows boot-loader, there is an option to boot from Ubuntu. By selecting the choice to boot from another device. The Ubuntu boot-loader also has an option to go to the Bios F12 boot selector as well. So, I have many different options to get to any Operating System.

Don
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 08:29:33 pm by TheUberOverLord »

February 11, 2016, 07:49:23 pm
I have verified that one can in fact simply re-load the initial snapshot taken prior to actually starting the Windows 7 VM to reset the number of days to another 90. Microsoft allows this. The VM of Windows 7 specifically states ("Desktop Background of Microsoft instructions during Windows 7 VM use") that this is an approved method by them, to re-extend the Windows 7 VM. More details:

http://www.openipcam.com/forum/index.php/topic,1442.msg5012.html#msg5012

Click on image to see larger image of same

Don
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:09:34 pm by TheUberOverLord »