News:

Registered a URL and setup a forum as the IPCam stuff really needed its own site vs my irregular blog posts about IPCam hacking at http://www.computersolutions.cn/blog

Author Topic: Where are the web files?  (Read 3237 times)

• No avatar
September 30, 2015, 02:02:43 pm
After a lot of time I jumped with joy when I finally confirmed I was able to upload a custom firmware to my device (working off 11.37.2.51), getting the correct signature wasn't easy at first, and when I get some time I will write a script that calculates the signature for you so you don't have to mess with GDB and Qemu every time, like in this otherwise excellent blog post . Currently my firmware does nothing aside from confirming that I can do it.

I want to modify the `init` script to run some commands on bootup but I have no way of seeing the output of those commands. What I want to do is append to output of my `init` commands to one of the HTML files, so I can then just navigate to that address and fetch the result. Something like `echo "hello world" >> /path/to/www/status.htm`.

But my problem is I don't know where the HTML files and images from the Web UI are stored on the device after boot up. I tried doing it blindly, like trying `/var/www` and the other common directories but with no success.

Does anyone know the path to the web files on the device? Then I can finally scream success and take a break from my first binge of firmware hacking.  8)

• No avatar
October 01, 2015, 02:18:00 am
having read your other posts, I can only recommend to shell out the USD 3 for a USB to serial converter if you really want to do some serious development on these things ...

• No avatar
October 01, 2015, 06:41:04 am
I know you're right but I've never soldered anything, don't have the equipment and I'm afraid to break the device since I've never done it before. I will probably eventually do that but in the mean time I'm trying to keep this software-based. As long as I don't mess with the critical binaries it should be fine, I just need somewhere to output some stuff while I try to get telnet or netcat cross-compiled, then I can actually have a terminal on the device.